One of the hardest obstacles to overcome when searching for a home is coming up with the money required for a down payment.
In order to assist veterans, those in active service, and their families, the Department of Veteran’s Affairs offers home loans with easy terms – including no down payment – allowing those who have served the country and their families to have a home of their own.
These are five benefits that a VA loan offers when it comes to buying a home.
1. No Down Payment: You won’t be responsible for saving up the 10-20% typically required on a conventional loan.
2. No Mortgage Insurance: When you get a conventional loan, you’ll typically have to pay for Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) if your down payment was under 20%. With a VA loan, monthly costs are lower without this insurance, which isn’t required because the VA is guaranteeing the loan.
3. Find Your Own Lender: You won’t get a loan directly from the VA, but instead, will find a private lender that issues these loans on behalf of the VA. That means easy access to your lender and the choice to pick the right one for you.
4. No Minimum Credit Score: One of the trickiest parts of getting a conventional mortgage is having a high enough credit score. While a high score will get you better terms on conventional loans, most lenders won’t even consider a mortgage for those with scores under 620.
5. Spouses Can Qualify: A spouse who has lost a partner in active service or because of an injury or disability related to that service can also qualify for a VA loan, provided they have not remarried.